Sport England have identified from their physical activity attitudes and behaviours survey during COVID-19 the widening gaps in the activity levels across the key priority audiences. This clearly shows that some of the target audiences are suffering more from the impact of the disease than is the case with the wider population. These groups are people from Lower Socio-Economic Groups, Black, Asian Minority Ethnic Communities, Disabled People and People with Long-Term Health Conditions.
Sport England want to deepen and further widen the reach of their funding to the under-represented audiences listed above. Sport England are doing that through the introduction of a funding programme called the ‘Tackling inequalities through awards to sector partners’ to help reduce the negative impact of Covid-19 and tackle the widening of the inequalities in sport and physical activity.
Active Humber has received £80,000 from Sport England Tackling Inequalities fund to distribute between June and October 2020. (nb. The grant application process is planned to be minimal / funding will range from £50 to max £10,000)
What is the intended impact of this fund?
- To minimise the impact of COVID-19 on activity levels in under-represented groups, ensuring that the physical activity participation inequality gap does not widen during this period in targeted communities.
- Enable community groups working with target audiences to continue to exist and retain the resources and capability to recover at the appropriate time.
- Provide funding for community groups working with Sport England target audiences to remain connected with their participants and keeping them active in the COVID-19 lockdown and early recovery stages.
- Strengthen relationships between system partners and community bodies working with under-represented groups.
Types of activity that might be funded could include:
- Hardship through funding support.
- Funding for community groups to find new ways of keeping their target audience active in this period.
- Offering advice and training support
- Increasing resilience, capacity, and capability of delivery bodies
Email Active Humber at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about this fund.