This research explores the experiences of self-employment for individuals with disabilities and health conditions and the types of support wanted in this area.
The green paper Improving lives: the future of work, health and disability highlighted:
- the potential advantages of self-employment for people with disabilities and health conditions
- the importance of support for those who wish to pursue self-employment
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) had little evidence regarding the benefits of self-employment for disabled people and those with health conditions and the particular difficulties these individuals face. DWP commissioned this research to build the evidence base in this area and to understand:
- the experience of self-employment for individuals with disabilities and health conditions
- the additional barriers they face when starting, sustaining or growing in self-employment
- what works in terms of self-employment support