Covering Hull, Beverley, Bridlington , Doncaster, Stamford Bridge or Market Weighton, you will support a person with sight loss to safely navigate the environment, building self-confidence and increasing social interaction; whilst maintaining dignity and promoting independence.
What does the role involve?
- Provide sighted guide assistance on a regular basis to people living with sight loss to help them achieve their goals (commonly weekly)
- The lengths of partnerships vary, from 6 weeks to 12months+, your availability will be matched with a suitable customer
- Undertake all elements of My Guide training (approximately 2 days)
- Support access to local services and facilities in their local community
- Provide regular feedback on progress and any issues that arise to your line manager
- Provide the My Guide role at agreed times/location based on the mutually agreed activity plan
- Maintaining professional boundaries and adhering to safeguarding procedures
Location: Your local community / possible travel to support people out of area
What skills or experience are required?
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Able to undertake your role safely and effectively
- Act in a non-judgemental way, without discrimination
What will I get out of it?
- Make a life-changing difference to someone in need in your community
- Opportunity to meet and interact with other Guide dogs’ volunteers
- An opportunity to build experience and knowledge of sight loss and develop your existing skills
- Gain skills and experience whilst doing something that you enjoy
- Build experience and skills while growing your confidence
- Meet people, have fun and be part of your community
- Help a charity do more while you learn what you are
- good at
- Become a valued and integral part of the Guide Dogs team
- Increasing the independence, dignity and wellbeing of people living with sight loss through the delivery of the My Guide service
What support / training will I get?
- 1 Day Sighted Guide Training and certificate upon completion of training
- Guide Dogs safeguarding training
- Payment of all out of pocket expenses in line with Guide Dogs policy
- An opportunity to take part in any general Guide Dogs volunteer training that is available
- Support, information, training and resources to enable you to undertake your role safely and effectively
Will I need to do a Disclosure check?
Yes, this role requires that you have an Enhanced Disclosure.
For more information contact Linda Conway Linda.Conway@guidedogs.org.uk Tel: 03451430207