This short report from the King’s Fund, supported by the National Housing Federation, is intended to help those leading and contributing to sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and emerging integrated care systems (ICSs) to make the most of the contribution that housing can make to health as they deliver and continue to develop. Behind this lies our belief that housing is one of the core local services that STPs and ICSs need to engage with at a strategic level as they develop population health systems.
In particular this report sets out:
- why housing is important for STPs and emerging ICSs
- how well housing is currently represented in STPs
- three priorities: supporting discharge, the use of NHS estates and mental health
- going further: the broader importance of housing to health across the life-course
- recommendations for action: maximising opportunities in the short and long term.