For the last 18 years, the Rank Foundation has provided £100,000 each year to support special capital projects in adult independent voluntary hospices. Hospice UK manages the application process.
This year, the theme is ‘Enhancing Wellbeing’. Projects must demonstrate a direct benefit to patients and their families. The funder is encouraging applicants to be innovative in their approach.
Examples of how the funding could be used, include but are not limited to:
- Converting underused space or renovate existing space into:
- Family kitchenette/counselling room
- Private areas/quiet areas for relatives including gardens
- The creation of bereavement suite
- Improvements to mortuary viewing areas
- Enlarging bedrooms to allow extended families to visit
- Using art to ‘bring the outside in’ to public areas.
- Increasing the therapeutic value of outside areas, such as:
- Create kitchen gardens/raised beds/sensory garden
- Seating and outside furniture
- Paths and walkways – facilitating patient access to the outdoors (e.g. wheelchair)
- Bedroom door improvements to allow beds to be taken outside
- Social and Therapeutic Horticulture projects (STH) – using plants and miniature hand-made gardens to improve physical and mental health.
The funding cannot be used for work that forms part of a much larger project or work that has started before March 2020.
The deadline for applications is 23 March 2020.
Full details about the Rank Foundation Grant Programme 2020 can be found on the Hospice UK website (opens in a new tab)