The Children’s Society has published a report on the experiences of young people accessing mental health support from NHS Children and Young People’s Mental Health Services (CYPMHS).
Findings from interviews with 27 young people aged 11- to 21-years-old include:
- there is a stigma and lack of knowledge around how to support young people with mental ill health
- there are barriers to accessing support, such as waiting times, confusing referrals and difficult therapeutic relationships
- there is frustration with the quality of services once young people have found support.
- significantly redesign mental health services for children and young people
- integrate mental health services within communities
- and make services easily visible and accessible to young people.
You can read the report, Waiting in Line, here as an online pdf (opens in a new tab)