The main points from this report are:
- In Quarter 2 (April to June) 2020, VAT turnover diffusion indices were the lowest on record at the total industry level and for the services, production and construction sectors, with around 100,000 more firms reporting decreasing turnover than increasing turnover compared with the previous quarter.
- 73% of businesses using safety measures reported their implementation had increased their operating costs between 15 and 28 June, according to the latest Business Impact of Coronavirus Survey.
- The proportion of adults avoiding physical contact with older or vulnerable adults increased to 81% from 77% in the previous week, according to the latest Opinions and Lifestyle Survey (collected 2 to 5 July).
- Between 28 June and 5 July, high streets saw a moderate increase in footfall to just under 50% of the level the same day a year ago, while shopping centres and retail parks saw smaller increases.
- Job adverts measured by Adzuna fell between 26 June and 3 July 2020, from 51% to 47% of their 2019 average, with nearly all categories showing a decline.
- Overall, prices for high demand products (HDPs) fell 0.1% in the week ending 5 July relative to the week ending 28 June; household and hygiene goods prices fell 0.5% while prices for food remained stable.
For more information go to the ONS website (opens in a new tab)