Deadline 1st March 2021
The Ministry of Defence is offering grants to groups and organisations across the UK that are planning to host an Armed Forces Day event in their community this summer.
Armed Forces Day events can come in any size or shape, from national and regional celebrations, local events organised by councils, ex-Service organisations, community groups and schools. Parades of veterans, cadets and/or currently serving personnel are very popular, as are presentations of veterans’ badges.
In the past, other ideas for activities have included the following:
- Picnic in the park.
- Themed BBQ.
- Knees up in your living room.
- Street party.
The 2021 event should:
- Be held within two weeks of the Armed Forces Day, including the weekends (the 2021 Armed Forces Day will be held on Saturday 26 June 2021). The two weeks would run from Saturday 19 June to Sunday 4 July 2021.
- Have ‘Armed Forces’ in the event title.
- Be relevant to today’s serving Armed Forces.
- Have free access to members of the ‘Armed Forces Family’.
- Not be centred around fundraising or recruitment.
The funding can be used to pay for:
- Road closures required to hold an event, including to allow for parades and marches.
- Decorations, flags and banners.
- Newspaper and radio advertisements to promote the event.
- Marshalling, security and first aid arrangements for the event.
- PA and communications systems.
Note: Armed Forces Day events may be affected by coronavirus/COVID-19 and event organisers should refer to the latest COVID-19 Government guidance or seek advice from their Devolved Administration and Local Authority.